I am a criminal defense attorney, by profession and by passion. This means regardless of your charges, when you are in the courtroom, I am your voice. Whether there are dozens of people supporting you, or I am the only one by your side, I will defend you. My objective is to understand you, your circumstances, and make sure that my representation fits your needs and goals. I will not only make sure that you are fully prepared and understand the process, but most importantly, I will make sure that the court understands who you are and your best interests. Having worked as a caseworker for several years before practicing law, my passion is people, and making sure that their voice is not lost in the system.
Payal Khandhar graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2002 with an undergraduate degree in psychology and political science. In 2009, she graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Law School and began working for the Wisconsin State Public Defender until she began her partnership with Attorney Murali Jasti in 2016.
Payal is a member of the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Dane County Bar Association, and Women in Courts and Corrections. She also volunteers as a President of the Board of Directors for JustDane and as a Rubin’s for Kids mentor. In addition to practicing as an attorney, she is also a Supplemental Court Commissioner.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. – 2009
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.A. – 2002
- Major: Psychology
- Major: Political Science
- Wisconsin, 2009
- JustDane, Board Member, current Board President, 2016 to Present
- Rubin’s For Kids Mentor, 2017 to Present
- Federal Defender Services of Wisconsin, Board of Directors, 2019 to Present
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2016 to Present
- Dane County Bar Association, Member, 2016 to Present
- Women in Courts and Corrections, Founding Member, 2017 to Present
- May 14th, 2021, Raising and Litigating Competency, presented for the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- December 8th, 2018, Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Ethical Dilemmas when Raising Competency, Madison, WI
- February 6th, 2018, Center for Religion and Global Citizenry – Social Justice and Religion, Madison, WI
- June 2nd, 2015, Office of the State Public Defender – Confidentiality for Support Staff, Wisconsin Dells, WI
- June 17th, 2014, Office of the State Public Defender – Confidentiality for Support Staff, Wisconsin Dells, WI
- December 8th, 2012, Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – How to Handle Evidence and Avoid Jail, Madison, WI
- Wisconsin State Public Defender, Attorney, 2009 to 2016